Volunteering Takes Heart! {Compassion Assignment}

 This week's Compassion Assignment: Which Bible Verse Prompts and Guides You to Serve Others?

My answer comes from a popular Bible story many learn when they are young. I learned this story as a child, but never understood the full meaning until I was much older.  What verse prompts me to serve others?
 Luke chapter 10, verses 25-42 tells the story of "The Good Samaritan". 


30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.~Luke 10:30-34

This portion of the story of the Good Samaritan always held my attention in Sunday school. I thought it was so nice that the Samaritan helped the man who was hurt. While I didn't quite grasp the cost to the Samaritan as a child, the purpose of the verse was taught to me many times over through my dad. You should always help those who need it. My dad has always been a hard worker, and seemed to always be short on time to relax. All my growing up I watched as my dad would sit down to dinner or to relax in his lazy boy and the phone would ring. On the other end of the line would be a friend, family member or even a charity asking for help. My dad never said no. One year we gave my dad grief because a charity called asking for money to take less fortunate children to the circus and my dad bought several tickets. My sister and I didn't get to go to the circus that year, but we never truly cared. My dad was quietly living his life serving others, teaching us that the life of a good Samaritan isn't always about having lots of money, but rather the willingness to give your time.

Now I'm grown with a child of my own, I like to think that I will be teaching him the same lessons my dad taught me. Will the Booper grow up to know it's better to give? I'm taking the steps to teach him those lessons. Lessons that will be taught through my actions of giving my time to others. Time is precious, and I always feel there's not enough to go around. I used to daydream of going on a long missions trip to a far away place and building an orphanage, purifying water for the masses, helping save a child from a curable disease. These are all amazing and wonderful things to do, but we can't all fly around the world. Let's face it, we don't all have the funds to go...and that's alright. Some of us are called to the simple act of volunteering our time. Not all acts of volunteering seem glamorous (at times far from it!), but when you give your time to others you're truly giving to God.

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.~Matthew 25:40

Volunteering takes your heart, and makes you into that person you've been daydreaming about. No... you might not be in a far away land curing disease, but you will be right where you should be..serving others. Today, as I was simply volunteering at a private school making Valentine's day cards with the children and the Booper my heart was full of joy no money could buy. By giving my time to others through volunteering I'm giving to God. Skip the candy, I'm passing on those valuable lessons this Valentine's day. ~Becky

What prompts and guides you to serve others? A bible verse? A mentor? 
Leave me a comment about your volunteering experience.








2 comments:

  1. Great post! It's true, it's not "easy" to volunteer your time, money, or talents, but Christ sacrificed everything so should we! I'm taking a break right now, but I was volunteering with foster care advocacy in my state. Helping those who can't help themselves is very important to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca you now have a special place in my heart and prayers. I feel the same way about helping the children who can sometimes "fall through the cracks" so to speak.

      I love donating to a local charity that gives emergency clothing and supplies to foster families so they can get through the first few days smoothly. When our son was little I donated some of our his out-grown baby clothes. The very next day I had a message saying that a baby boy was dropped with a foster family the night after my donation and he was now wearing the clothes we donated. Makes my heart happy.

      Delete

Love This? Share It!